Now in its fourth year, the Social Innovation Competition is looking to discover and support groundbreaking ideas that tackle Scotland’s most pressing social and environmental issues.
The theme of this year’s competition is Individuals affected by disability. We are looking for innovative ideas and solutions that support individuals directly affected by disability, as well as those indirectly affected, such as carers and family members.
The Social Innovation Competition offers three £5000 awards - including the Young Social Innovator category open to applicants aged 16 to 30 - combined with tailored support to refine and develop these ideas.
What do we mean by disability?
We define disability as set out in the Equalities Act 2010: A physical or mental impairment which has a substantial and long-term adverse effect on a person’s ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities.
What we’re looking for:
- Applications that involve innovative ideas and solutions to problems encountered by individuals affected by disability (directly or indirectly). This could be through giving them access to new opportunities, helping them to overcome barriers and inequalities, or improving their quality of life.
- The idea may be at a very early stage or may have already done some early testing/trading but it must demonstrate the potential to create significant, lasting social impact.
- Applicants must be aged 16 or over and permanently resident in Scotland
What you can get
- We have three £5000 awards up for grabs
- Tailored business support to help you develop and get your idea off the ground
Social entrepreneurs and innovators are already tackling the issues surrounding disability in clever and creative ways- check out these case studies to get inspired- and if you have any questions, get in touch!
Catch up with last year’s winner Ewan Sinclair from The Soundplay Dome and check how far he has come since winning the Social Innovation Competition last year.
Applications Open: Monday 2nd July
Applications Close: Monday 16 September, 12 noon.
Winners Announced: November 2019
How to apply
- Complete the application form by following this link. You will need to:
- Check our eligibility criteria
- Complete all sections of the application form
- Record and submit a two-minute video explaining your idea and what you hope to achieve
- Submit your application before the deadline
You will receive an acknowledgment email soon after submitting your application form.
Our 2018 winners
Social Innovation Competition winners (L to R: Carla Fyfe, Ewan Sinclair, Olivia Robertson)
The winners - Carla Fyfe of Collaborative Hub (left), Ewan Sinclair of Soundplay Dome (middle) and Olivia Robertson of Gumption Girls (right) - were presented with their awards by Josiah Lockhart, Chief Executive of Firstport, at a civic reception held by The City of Edinburgh Council on Friday 14 September. The reception was part of the closing events of the Social Enterprise World Forum 2018, attended by over 1400 delegates from across the world.